First I fill my sink up with luke-warm water just to soak everything. I'll rub each brush inbetween my fingers to try and release some of the yuck they've picked up while using them. If the water looks as if it needs changing already, I will then empty it and refill it again so they're not soaking in dirty water!

Next I individually wash them with this foam from Superdrug. I bought this originally for use on my face but it didn't really help so rather than wasting, I use them for my brushes. I figured with the tea-tree it should get rid of all the badness which I rub on my face daily, which probably is a big contributor to my breakouts! Using this usually get's rid of the majority of foundation in the brushes. I use one pump at a time and just rub it all over the brush head using my fingers, rinse and repeat until it's no longer necessary. This is the stage where a new sink of water is definitely needed, so the next step is to empty the dirty sink and reload it with clean water to soak them one last time.
The final step is drying. After I'm completely happy all of my products have been rinsed out my brushes I will squeeze each brush lightly with a towel and then lay them down on it, preferably under/next to a radiator. These should dry in time and et voila, fresh, like new, brushes.
How do you clean your brushes?




Ooh that's an interesting way of using tea tree face wash ill have to try that
ReplyDeletewww.justshazea.blogspot.co.uk
You have a very nice blog!!! :) xxx
ReplyDeletehttp://liveyourhipsterlife.blogspot.com.es/
Good idea with the tea tree! I really need to get into a better habit of washing my brushes regularly, I'm terrible!
ReplyDeletexx
http://sarah-nunn.blogspot.co.uk
I clean mine in the same way!
ReplyDeletehttp://talisatalksbeauty.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/april-birchbox-2013-uk-links.html
Thanks for sharing this amazing tip with us! I'm deff going to try it!
ReplyDeletexoxo
http://tfd-thefashiondistrict.blogspot.com/
It's not good to put the whole of the brush under water - if the wood gets wet, it can swell and change shape, making the ferrule (metal bit) loose and the brush hairs fall out. It's only ever a good idea to get the brush hairs wet. x
ReplyDeleteThanks for letting me know!! I've replaced all my brushes with Real Technique ones and I'll be sure not to do that!Xx
Deletei love using johnsons baby shampoo!
ReplyDeletehttp://therawrdrobe.blogspot.co.uk/
thanks for sharing this! I´ll show it to my sister,s he has a lot of brushes and this seems a easy way tp clean them all :D
ReplyDeleteAwesome! Great to know to use face wash!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tip!
XO
SJ
www.fashinny.blogspot.com
good post lucy it really helps
ReplyDeleteThese tips are so helpful! I really do need to spring-clean my makeup draw, hehe. You have a lovely blog!
ReplyDeletexo, Meera | www.momentswithmeera.com
twitter + instagram: @meeranavlakha
I do something exactly like this! Fab post x
ReplyDeletehttp://perksofstyle.blogspot.co.uk
I must say that I hate cleaning my brushes soo much but its a must to prevent break outs!
ReplyDeleteI wish they would make brushes that you can put in the washing machine or the dishwasher!
(Rant over!) I really enjoyed reading your post
http://wotshernameagain.blogspot.com/
This is such a good way to clean your brushes. Great Post!
ReplyDelete-Charlotte
http://www.incharlottesshoes.blogspot.co.uk/